Business oriented with a strong technical and academic background. Expertise in software development and machine learnings. Worked for large to small organizations in various countries and co-founded a couple of startups.
- MBA—University of Cambridge, Judge Business School (2015–2017).
- PhD—Kyoto University, Informatics, Department of Intelligence Science and Technology, Graduate School of Informatics (2006–2010).
- Co-founder & CTO, Aequa Sciences, 2016–2017. London, United Kingdom.
- Consultant, Lufthansa Industry Solutions, 2013–2017. Frankfurt Am Main, Germany.
- Software Project Manager, Lufthansa Technik, 2012–2013. Frankfurt Am Main, Germany.
- Senior Software Engineer, Ubisense, 2010–2012. Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Software Engineer, R&D, HORIBA, 2003–2010. Kyoto, Japan.
Main contributions in the realms of computer vision, computer graphics, data mining and social intelligence design (4 journal publications, 10 peer-reviewed conference papers, 3 patents).
Academic publications (full list here)
- Loic Merckel and Toyoaki Nishida (2009). User-friendly Texture Mapping Engine. Journal of the Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers (ITE). Vol. 63, No. 12, pages 1838–1846. [Link]
- Loic Merckel and Toyoaki Nishida (2010). Multi-Interfaces Approach to Situated Knowledge Management for Complex Instruments: First Step Toward Industrial Deployment. AI & Society Journal. Springer London, Vol. 25, No. 2, pages 211–223. [Link]
- Loic Merckel and Toyoaki Nishida (2008). Accurate Object Recognition Using Orientation Sensor with Refinement on the Lie Group of Spatial Rigid Motions. IEICE Transactions on Information and Systems. Vol. E91-D, No. 8, pages 2179–2188. [Link]
- Loic Merckel and Toyoaki Nishida (2009). Enabling Situated Knowledge Management for Complex Instruments by Real-time Reconstruction of Surface Coordinate System on a Mobile Device. AI & Society Journal. Springer London, Vol. 24, No. 1, pages 85–95. [Link]
- Loic Merckel and Toyoaki Nishida (2011). Change-Point Detection on the Lie Group SE(3). In: Computer Vision, Imaging and Computer Graphics. Theory and Applications. Communications in Computer and Information Science, International Joint Conference, VISIGRAPP 2010. Vol. 229, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, P. Richard and J. Braz (Eds.), pages 230–245. [Link]
Patents (details here)
- Knowledge acquisition support apparatus and program applied to it, Publication number: JP2010-026882, Loic Merckel, 2010 (Japanese title: ナレッジ取得支援装置及びナレッジ取得支援装置用プログラム). Applicant: HORIBA Ltd. [Link]
- Object recognition apparatus and program applied to it, Publication number: JP2008-309595, Loic Merckel, 2008 (Japanese title: オブジェクト認識装置及びそれに用いられるプログラム). Applicant: HORIBA Ltd. [Link]
- Object recognition apparatus and object recognition program, Publication number: JP2009-008577, Loic Merckel, 2009 (Japanese title: オブジェクト認識装置及びオブジェクト認識用プログラム). Applicant: HORIBA Ltd. [Link]
- Apparatus and method of cataloging test data by icons, Publication numbers: US2006-055697 and JP2006-084453, Seiichiro Yoshioka, Yoshiyuki Okada, Tatsuo Igushi and Loic Merckel, 2006. Applicant: HORIBA Ltd. [Link]
- Academic Prize for exceptional performance in specialisation (Electives and Individual Project) during the MBA programme, University of Cambridge, May 2017. [Link]
- Best student paper award in the 5th International Conference on Computer Graphics Theory and Applications (GRAPP/VISIGRAPP 2010). Paper title: Change-Point Detection on the Lie Group SE(3) for Segmenting Gesture-Defined Spatial Rigid Motion, May 2010. [Link]